KEMET Electronics Corp has implemented several process and material improvements in order to improve the surface mount (SMT) performance of low ESR polymer capacitors (KO-CAP). This includes large case size (up to 7343-43) capacitors with ESR as low as 5 m[ohm].
Six Sigma methodologies (DMAIC: define-measure-analyze-improve-control) were used to structure the improvement process.
This whitepaper describes
- the project goals (define phase)
- new measurement techniques that had to be developed (measure phase)
- the conceptual model to explain SMT failures (analyze phase)
- process and material improvements (improve phase), and
- new control measures put in place (control phase)